Long gone are the days of the 1970s and 80s (sigh) of huge drum sets and huge hair (sigh). Today most people who play drums seriously do not want a gigantic kit to lug around, or even have the space for one in their house. For the past 10 years small compact kits with 18″ bass drums have really caught on, even some with 16″ bass drums. I even play an 18″ myself!
With the giant sea of musical instruments out there, I thought I’d provide a list of what I consider the best compact, or “bop” drum sets out there in 2018!
5. SPL Street Bop – This set is an incredible bargain and as you can tell by the video below it is quite capable of some incredible sounds! It features an 18″ kick, 12″ tom, 14″ tom and 14″ snare. Buy one here https://amzn.to/2BguHwC
4. Ludwig Breakbeats – This kit features a really small 16″ kick, 10″ and 13″ toms, and a 14″ snare that is super compact, has a stunning glitter finish, and don’t sound too shabby. If you’re looking for super small and great looks, the breakbeats is probably your best choice, get one here https://amzn.to/2KNM9rT
3. Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Bop – Though this kit doesn’t come with a snare (you’ll have to buy that separately), It does come with incredible professional sound. Yamaha makes some of the best drums in the world and their quality is only matched by a small few. This kit comes with an 18″ kick, 12″ tom, and 14″ floor tom. It’s small, but still big enough to sound like a real set. Buy one here https://amzn.to/2nATQZj
2. Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz – Same sizes as the Yamaha above, 18″,12″,14″ (14″), but this amazing Gretsch comes with a snare as well! The natural wood finish looks absolutely amazing and the kit sounds great! Get one here https://amzn.to/2B9ptmz
1. Tama Imperialstar with 18″ Kick – Though the Tama Imperialstar Bop was discontinued in 2015 (this is the kit I have) they still make a similar one with an extra tom and it even comes with cymbals. Tama drums are some of the finest made in the world. They are known for their incredible durability and sound. Get one here https://amzn.to/2vLfoa8
So there’s my list! I hope you found it helpful and it helps you pick out your new drums!
This video caught my eye! It’s actually way more interesting than the thumbnail would make it seem! Herbie Hancock and others go into vast details about creating synth sounds and sequencing using the coolest gear of the 80s!
I just saw this today and really loved being able to see the inside of this incredible synth! I have always loved the sound of a Mellotron and used the samples of them extensively on my recordings, but have never had a real one at my fingers.It is really fascinating to see the inner workings of this machine!