The Alesis Nitro Mesh Is Dual Zone Compatible!

The Alesis Nitro Mesh is a great inexpensive electronic drum set that comes with one dual zone snare pad, and 3 tom pads (and kick, cymbal, and hi hat pads). However the 3 tom pads it comes with are only single zone. However, by chance I discovered that all of the tom inputs are actually dual zone, even the expansion one! This means you can upgrade all the pads to dual zone!

Also, if you haven’t already, take a look at my ‘lost manual’ that has all kinds of information not found in the Alesis manual.

20 thoughts on “The Alesis Nitro Mesh Is Dual Zone Compatible!

1. Fer

Hello from Spain

How did you get the rim sound to work on your Tom? I bought my Nitro a week ago and my module does not have any option about the rim of the toms.

Thanks a lot. Fantastic Youtube channel! .

Fer

1. DemonicSweaters Post author

That’s what I’m trying to explain in this post. All of the tom inputs are dual zone capable, but the kit comes with single zone toms. Simple solution, switch the snare pad with tom 2, then program the rim to be a ride. The other option is to get another dual zone pad. Hope that helps.

1. Louie

Would a lemon CYM12C (its a 12 inch dual zone cymbal) work with this module? Thanks in advance. Love from the philippines!

2. Leo

Hello

Just an FYI, this is also the exact same module as the Alesis “Surge” kit. So any of the Surge toms have dual zones. You can find the Surge toms for reasonable prices.

Rock on people!!!!

2. tcypher

curious… if all the pad connections are dual zone, (despite the actual pad – excluding the snare), does that mean I can by a second kit and a splitter for each tom and assign the second “zone” of that room to a new pad further expanding the kit?

3. ICE Fred Mischler

Just to clarify, you’re not suggesting to replace all the toms with dual zone pads, correct? You’re saying if the rim sound on the snare is unimportant to you, switch the snare and Tom 2, because the tom cable can handle 2 inputs and you can program the snare pad to have Tom 2 sound and the snare rim can be some other useful sound (like a ride sound) and the Tom pad that’s now your snare can have a snare sound.

Is that correct? I guess it begs the question how you got the module to recognize the 2 zones, because the module only shows 1 programming option for the tom 2.

4. Tony

Great videos! I’m thinking of getting this model but I’m curious. Which splitters work with the Nitro set to add more pads/cymbals? I would think by looking at a different video that all the cables running from module are males, so I would need one female/two male splitter, correct?

5. massimo

hi,
    I need an expert advise.
    I would like to upgrade my alesis nitro mesh drum kit by changing the current hi hat (sigle zone) with Millenium MPS-850 Hi-Hat Pad (dual zone).
    The idea is to connect the Millenium MPS-850 Hi-Hat Pad to the available TOM 4 or Crash 2 stereo input (the hi hat input is mono), but I don’t know how it will work with the hi hat control.
    I am a beginner but following the online lessons I was not able to play dynamics on Hi-Hat (to hit with the stick on the edge and on the centre of the hi hat getting two different sounds).
    Do you think this is possible?

Do you have other suggestions for better results or cheaper solutions?

6. Connor

Howdy —

How about dual-zone cymbals? I’m assuming the extra Tom input is dual-zone and the extra Cymbal input is not.

So my guess is, if you purchase a dual-zone cymbal, and connect it to any of the existing Cymbal cables — still one zone. If you connect it to the extra Cymbal input — still one zone.

Now, what if you take a dual-zone cymbal and connect it to an existing Tom cable, or the extra Tom input?

1. DemonicSweaters Post author

Yes you could, but only a certain type of dual zone cymbal. It has to be a piezo/piezo style cymbal. Some older Pintech cymbals work this way, but most new Roland and Alesis cymbals are piezo/switch type trigger, so they won’t work.

1. Connor

Awesome information. I was looking at the Pintech dual-zone ride PC16B (bow/bell, not the chokeable one) and it appears to be Piezo/Piezo.

7. Adam

Hey mate! Just want to say a big thank you for all your info on the Nitro Mesh kit. Thanks to your videos i’ve built a similar drum riser and your module presets have helped me to get some nice feeling sounds.
    I have however noticed something weird with the tom pads. It seems that one side of the pad is louder than the other and it seems to follow the direction of the mounting hardware. This is great if I assign the tom to a crash cymbal as I can get a loud bell sound but also a really light touch but for normal toms it’s kinda weird. You’d think the centre of the pad would be loudest but this is not the case.
    It’s kinda cool to have but I have no idea how to control it. Have you noticed anything like this before?

8. Christopher Sparks