NOTE: When you update the firmware on the TD-6 it will WIPE OUT ALL OF YOUR PATCHES AND SETTINGS! SO BACK UP FIRST! Keep reading to learn how!
- First make sure you are using a Windows PC, not a Mac, not Linux. Don’t believe me? Watch this. Just use Windows if you want this to work.
- Download MIDI-OX and install it.
- Use MIDI-OX to save a full MIDI Dump from your TD-6 (details in video)
- Download the TD-6v Firmware from Roland’s website It’s the same firmware regardless if you have a regular TD-6 or a TD-6v.
- You will also need the PCSMF Update Application, however Roland’s link is dead, so you can download it here.
- Use the PCSMF app to update the TD-6 firmware. Install PCSMF, select the MIDI device and the folder where you saved the firmware.
- Update Procedure:
1. Turn off the power to the TD-6.
2. Turn on the power to the TD-6 while holding [EDIT] and [STOP]. You will see
the display light up, but no text will appear. You will also see [EDIT] light.
3. Continue holding [STOP], release [EDIT], and press [KIT] button. You will see
4. Continue to hold [KIT], release [STOP] and press [SONG] button. Once [KIT]
and [RECORD] light up, you can release all buttons.
5. After a short pause, [KIT] and [RECORD] will go out and [PLAY] will light up.
6. Play the MIDI files from the computer.
7. As the files play to the TD-6, you will see [PLAY] light, then [PART MUTE],
then [REC] several times in succession.
8. You will see the [PLAY] button flash, indicating that the update has completed
9. Turn the TD-6 off.
Factory Reset Procedure:
After performing the system update you must reset the TD-6 back to factory
settings. Follow these steps to perform the Factory Reset:
1. Turn the TD-6 on.
2. You will see “Backup NG! Execute Reset All!”. Press the [ENTER] button
- Restore your settings and data using MIDI-OX (details in video)
Jump to 22:02 to see how to do everything correctly!